понеделник, 19 декември 2011 г.

How to opt out of Google WIFI Database

While browsing trough the news, I discovered this potentially helpfull information:
"Under the agreement, which was announced by Google and the Dutch Data Protection Authority, owners of Wi-Fi routers can add “_nomap” to the end of a router’s name to tell Google that they do not want its information included."source
I don't know if or when I will change the name of my rooter, but it's good to know in case you need it. After all, paranoia aside, but the article goes on like this:
"If many people opt out of the registry, Google’s ability to offer location-based services could be compromised. The company would then have to use cell tower locations and the Global Positioning System to determine a phone’s location, which could result in less accuracy and greater use of battery power." source
I personally don't see any reason why Google should know my geographic location, nor why I should be interested in anything Google can offer me to buy. And the idea of using my GPS location without my explicit consent is outrightly spooky! That's why I almost never turn on the GPS on my phone. And I never registered my Android with my Gmail account. It might be a tiny victory for the mankind, but it makes me feel good :)
So I guess it's not a bad idea to make the effort and change the name of the rooter. Even if only in the name of making Google little bit more miserable :)

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар