петък, 10 август 2012 г.

How to mask ati-drivers

After the glorious update with ati-drivers-12.6 I turned up without a working video driver. I tried the open-source xf86-video-ati driver and surprisingly it worked quite well - I had 3d acceleration, flawless video and so on. I even managed to sort out the problem I had with kdm not logging in on start up (it was a rather stupid one - after removing ati-drivers and ati-space, the file /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so didn't got removed and messed up the system - after removing it, kdm stopped complaining about drivers and everything worked fine).
Unfortunately, because of my work, I need to use the ati-driver (oh, well). So I was stuck with a non-working system, doomed to use an "old" driver, and I was kind of upset, because of the whole nonsense ATI put as trough.
Anyway, couple of re-installations later, here's the thing that made me happy:
1. I installed Sabayon 9, which has perfectly working ati-drivers-12.4 on a kernel-3.4.0
2. I masked the packages which could lead to the installation of ati-drivers-12.6 i.e. in the file /etc/entropy/packages/package.mask I added:
>x11-drivers/ati-drivers-12.5
>=media-libs/mesa-7.6
>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.1
>x11-drivers/ati-userspace-12.4
>=x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.11

Then I ran:
sudo equo update
sudo equo install kde-meta
And I got the newest KDE. Which was quite cool.
Now, if you want to update the kernel to for example >=sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-3.4-r5  I'd rather not. Maybe I did it in a wrong way, maybe not, but doing an sudo equo upgrade rendered my system completely useless, because of some mismatch between the mouse and keyboard drivers. I don't care. I'll just stay with the old kernel and enjoy my life with ati-drivers. Not that I love them so much, but right now, I just have no other option. So far I installed couple of packages (like amarok, smplayer and other stuff) and I didn't run into problems. So as long as you have those packages masked and you stay away from the kernel upgrade, things should be cool. You can even add a mask on the kernel, but when I did that, entropy complained everything gets masked so I removed it. But still, I'm very happy that after 3 days of pain, I finally got my system to work the way I want it to.

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар