неделя, 26 август 2012 г.

How to save data from a (soft) bricked Xoom

Well, even without trying to unlock or root my Xoom, I managed to brick it. I don't know how exactly it happened, I suspect it was the outcome of bad copying trough gMTP. Anyway, it got into this bootloader loop and it restarted over and over again. VERY ANNOYING!!! I was terrified, because I had some very important data on the tablet, since I use it for work. I asked and asked on the forums, but people obviously don't like answering such stupid questions. So, after tons of searching, here's what I did.

1. Install android-sdk-update-manager . If you happen to be on x64 system, install it twice - it should pull some Java emulation packages as well. Eventually, you have to run $env-update and $source /profile to sort out all the dependencies or whatever other problems.
2. Go in /opt/android-sdk-update-manager/tools and run $sudo ./android (you need to be root in order to install the stuff)
3. Install whatever you see fit, I installed Android 3.2 and the Tools
4. Afterwards, go into /opt/android-sdk-update-manager/platform-tools
5. There you'll find the ./adb and ./fastboot commands
6. Now, connect your Xoom trough the USB cable and just let it reboot and reboot and reboot - it doesn't matter
7. Run ./adb devices to see if your Xoom is listed. It should be, mine was listed.
8. To see your directory structure use ./adb -d shell and then you can use ls, cd and cd .. to look around (the -d option says to send the command to the only usb plugged in, so you shouldn't plug more than one device, otherwise you should use -s and the serial number)
9. After you find the directory that's important for you, just download it to your PC. I downloaded stuff from /sdcard doing:
$ ./adb -d pull /sdcard/folder /home/denijane/sdcard/folder
This way I pulled every directory in /sdcard one by one, because the Xoom kept on restarting and I didn't want to miss something, but maybe you can do it as a whole too, I don't know. Just make sure you have checked what you need has been copied to you PC.
10. After you download your stuff from the Xoom, you may Factory Reset it. To do so use: Power + Vol Up to reboot and while the screen displays Dual Core, press couple of times Vol Down to enter the boot menu and with Vol Down scroll until Android Recovery, then use Vol Up to select. After the weird screen shows up, you should press Power + Vol Up (I think) in order to get to the Recovery options. Then, choose Factory Reset and press Power to confirm. After it says Data Wiped, use Vol Up/Down to choose Reboot. That's it.

After you have reseted your Xoom, it's a good time to consider Unlocking it and eventually Rooting it. Unlocking would delete again all your data, so it makes sense to do it on a clean installation. Unlocking is easy, using the tools Motorola has published - you can find a description at http://www.mokonamodoki.com/motorola-xoom-final-rescue.
Yes, unlocking do void you of Warranty, but in some cases you can restore Stock OS and Relock, so I suspect you'll have your Warranty after all. Or maybe not, I don't know. But I was thinking, what's the point in having a cool device as Xoom, if you don't Unlock and Root it. It's just not fair. And it seems that complete Backups can be done only on a rooted device, so I think it's worthy the trouble.
Anyway, I'm so happy I could download my data from the Xoom. And the moral is good - always have important data stored at at least two places!
Have a good day!
Edit:
Here are some good wikis on ADB:
http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=ADB
http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Howto:_Install_the_Android_SDK

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар